In our recent diversity, equity, and inclusion survey we asked respondents what they felt an inclusive space looked like. We discovered three main themes within the responses.
Open For Learning
- Ensuring that creating an open space for learning is a top priority
- Everyone coming together to have an open conversation with differing opinions
- Each individual is feels respected and heard and other members are actively listening
Engage In Open Dialogue Without Hatred
- Respecting that individuals may have differing opinions
- Having conversations without fear of judgment
- Being more conscious of any preconceptions you may have of others and learning to set them aside
Diverse and Safe Space
- Having a work environment where people of all races, genders, sexualities, and more feel more welcome and included
- Creating a diverse space in all workspaces, such as meetings, teamwork, projects, or general friendly interaction between co-workers
- Having culture-sensitive policies which can include allowing employees to take off work for religious holidays
These three themes are crucial to building and maintaining an inclusive space.